Friday, October 20, 2006

Today we read a Japanese story written by Arlene Mosel.

"The Funny Little Woman"

How would you feel if the wicked oni was going to take you to their underground world? --

I'd feel scared, but the woman thought it was funny.
I'd feel sad, because I'd miss my parents.
I would pretend that I was happy. Then, at night, I would sneak away.
I'd be miserable.
I would feel nervous. There would be butterflies in my tummy.

Student Questions and Comments:

What if a hole opened up in the floor of your house? What would you be thinking? --

I'd try to find a big rock to stand on.
I would climb out.
I would try to jump over the hole.
I would be entranced!

What is a dumpling?

Have you ever been in an underground cave? How did that feel? --

It felt dark.
It would feel spooky.

Why is the cave green and scary looking? The cave could be part of the ocean or river. The water made it slimy and green.

"Wow!"

If you had a magic paddle for cooking, what would you do with it? --

I would make many different kinds of food with it.
I would turn myself into a teacher.
I would make food to give to people that needed it.
I would turn the floor into rice, so people could eat the floor.
If I had a magic paddle, I would turn the school into rice.
I would wish for delicious, scrumptious ice cream.
I would turn our school into candy.

Who would miss you if you were gone for so long like the woman in the story? -- My parents.

The woman sold food she made with the magic paddle and became the richest woman in Japan. --

"She derserved it."

Closing Ideas and Thoughts:

I liked the book because it had lots of details. The author wrote a great story.
I liked how the book showed all different seasons. It made you know that a lot of time had gone by.
I liked the part when the woman got the magic paddle, because she could keep it forever and wish for what she wanted.
It was great when she got away from the monsters.
I thought is was funny, because the woman always laughs. Even when the wicked oni came.

1 Comments:

At 11:43 PM, Blogger Jordans Mom said...

I love this! Its so great to hear what their little minds are thinking.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home