Monday, November 06, 2006




First graders are studying ancient civilizations! We have enjoyed taking virtual trips to faraway lands and learning about human life long ago. These historic places and peoples have opened our eyes to discovery and wonder. We will be studying ancient peoples from around the world, from countries including Egypt, Mexico, Cambodia (as seen in photo), and Peru. Here are some of our written comments after observing an amazing photo of the mountain city of Machu Picchu in the Andes of Peru!

- Long ago there were places where people lived. Now they are deserted. Machu Picchu was a place that had different buildings and people.

- I think these places are ancient! I looks like buildings have been destroyed. I hope I can go there someday!

- Machu Picchu looks like it is covered in seaweed. There are tiny houses high up in the sky!

- It looks very beautiful. It is very green. Yes it is! This place looks old. I wonder what color the houses used to be. I would like to see another place like it.

- I would like to go there and look around. This is a really old place where people used to live.

- It looks like people lived there a long time ago. I see grass. I think it's a mountain. If I went there I would play. It looks pretty.

- It was an old city. People used to live there. It was made of rock and moss. Machu Picchu was up in the mountains. If I went there, I would look around and find old treasures. I would bring a magnifying glass to see the treasures and learn about this old place.

- I would climb the stairs and go in the spaces in the block buildings. I am thinking that these mountains look like Idaho, but I know they're really in Peru! My auntie went there!

- It looks like a mountain. If I went there I would take a walk around.

- I looks like a lot of mountains are growing out of the city. If I went there, I would climb around.

- It looks like this place crumbled down 100 years ago.

3 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Blogger Ben's First Grade said...

Wow. Look at this amazing first grade writing. What great ideas!

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Ben's First Grade said...

First graders, I liked reading your work about Machu Picchu.
You shared interesting ideas about how Machu Picchu looks. You used good describing words in your sentences. I REALLY enjoyed reading about what you would do if you went there. GREAT WORK!

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Ben's First Grade said...

First Graders,

Incredible, if you could go to one of these ancient civilizations, what one would it be and why? Keep up the great work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home